Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Movie Review: Speed Racer



When this movie came out last summer, I skipped it because the trailer and the look of this movie did nothing for me. I thought it looked weird and the snippets of dialogue in the trailer made the movie seem melodramatic. Suffice it to say that I was surprised when I finally watched it and discovered that Speed Racer is a really good movie. If you disagree that it’s a really good movie, you are both a liar and a heartless human being on par with someone who would smother a newborn kitten.

Do you really want to be that kind of person?


Speed Racer tells the story of a racecar driver named (wait for it…) Speed Racer. The Racer family has a bit of a history in the racing world and that’s all I’m going to tell you because I prefer sending people in to a movie as blind as I can possibly send them.

The look of the film can be jarring at first, but once you get past it, you’ll begin to appreciate how remarkable it really is. The movie has ridiculous (in a good way) racing sequences, comic relief for the kids (although some of those moments can be a bit grating), and lots of heart. The finale of this movie is so well done that I struggled not to shit my pants with happiness.

Speed Racer has a 36% freshness rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and I am just amazed at how wrong a lot of those critics were about this movie. At worst, this movie is okay. To think that 64% of critics flat out didn’t like it is weird because those scores are usually spot-on, I mean look at what they gave Disaster Movie.

IET Rating: (3 1/2)***1/2* out of (4)****

\nm/

1 comment: